Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Perfect Pancakes - Oat Pancakes from Weight Watchers

I just ate what may have been the best pancakes ever.

Oat Pancakes - from Weight Watchers
3/4 c. white all-purpose flour
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. quick cooking rolled oats, do NOT use instant
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. table salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 c. unpacked light brown sugar
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce (I was out of this so skipped it)
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 1/4 c. 1% low-fat milk, divided (I had maybe 1/4 c, so I used apple juice and my splash of milk)
2 sprays cooking spray (I don't measure this)
6 Tbsp. maple syrup

In a large bowl, combine both flours. Add oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; stir well. Add sugar; stir again.

In a medium bowl, beat together egg and egg whites, applesauce and butter. Stir in 1 c. milk. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture. Stir well, but do NOT beat.

Coat a 12-inch nonstick skillet or griddle pan with cooking spray. Set over medium heat. Measure out 1/4 c. of pancake batter and drop onto prepared pan (Measuring is worth it! It's much easier to pour and get even-sized pancakes). Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 4 pancakes at a time (depends on your pan size - I made 6). Cook on first side until pancakes are golden on bottom, about 4 minutes. Flip over and cook on other side until golden on bottom, about 3 minutes.

Remove pancakes to a preheated oven to keep warm or put on a plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 12 pancakes total. Batter thickens as it stands. Add part or all of remaining 1/4 c. milk to achieve desired batter consistency. I didn't do any of this paragraph except to make 12 pancakes and set them on a plate, but uncovered.

Yields 2 pancakes and 1 tablespoon syrup per serving.

I should mention by the way that Caleb told me several times in the morning that the pancakes were "excellent!" Later when I mentioned them on the phone to a friend, he interrupted me to tell me and the friend that they were "awesome!" So give 'em a try - you may like them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment