Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Fish and Chips - Weight Watchers

When Aaron and I used to travel for pleasure, we made a point of eating fish and chips at our various destinations. Fish and chips was the meal we had right before he proposed (aw!). Fish and chips was fantastic in Dublin too. The first meal we had in Victoria was fish and chips (I'm sure Aaron will correct the record if necessary). We had fish and chips in Nova Scotia, possibly more than once. I don't remember having fish and chips in Paris or Mexico, but I would be surprised if we had skipped it in London. Anyway, we like fish and chips.

Fish and chips, the traditional way, is a greasy dish. It is delicious, and the grease is part of the yumminess. The grease is obviously not a healthful choice. I was quite excited to see this recipe in my Weight Watchers book this week.

Fish and Chips - from Weight Watchers
4 sprays olive oil cooking spray (yeah, I don't really count/measure those)
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 8 wedges (I didn't peel)
1/4 tsp salt, or more to taste
1/4 tsp ground black pepper, or more to taste
1/4 c. fat-free milk (I used 1%)
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard (I used spicy deli mustard)
1/2 c. seasoned dried bread crumbs (I used whole wheat panko)
1/4 c. all-purpose flour (I think I used white whole wheat)
20 oz. uncooked cod, four 5 oz. fillets
4 Tbsp. red wine vinegar (I skipped it)

Preheat oven to 400. Coat 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray. Place potato wedges on one baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray (I skipped the coating). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bake until golden brown and tender, about 45 minutes.

Whisk milk and mustard together in a shallow dish. Place bread crumbs in another shallow dish/plate and put flour in a third shallow dish. Season both sides of fish with salt and pepper. Place fish in flour and turn to coat. Place fish in milk mixture and turn to coat. Place fish in bread crumbs and turn to coat. Transfer fish to second prepared baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray.
(I skipped the coating) Bake until fish flakes easily with a fork, about 10-15 minutes. Serve fish and potato wedges with vinegar on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment