Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

Meal Planning with Weight Loss in Mind

I just completed week 2 of Weight Watchers. I started the program weighing 182.2 pounds. I'm going to be really excited when I lose 5 pounds, just because it's a nice "roundish" number. I'll be even more excited when I get below 175. I lost 0.8 pounds this week, bringing my cumulative weight loss to 3.6 pounds and weight to 178.6.

After only these two weeks, I already identified 2 big challenges for me. Snacks and planning dinner. I'm happy these are my challenges rather than other challenges. Some people struggle to eat healthy food, choosing junk instead of real food. Some people really struggle with portion control. I have some portion control problem (otherwise I wouldn't be overweight - duh, right?), but that hasn't been difficult with Weight Watchers. However, finding appropriate snacks - filling, tasty, fun, but not loaded with points (i.e., high calories and fat, low fiber) - AND figuring out dinner have been tough for me.

Then I remembered how easy dinner felt when we were picking up our box of produce from Stillman's last summer. The box made it easier because I had to plan dinners around the vegetables before the vegetables went bad. This week I decided I have to return to meal planning so that I can be successful at my weight loss journey. Weight Watchers has a great tool to help with this - a HUGE recipe database, searchable by type of food, meal, number of points, ingredients and probably more. I picked 3 new recipes to try out.

Grilled Moroccan Chicken Kabobs
Turkish Vegetable Stew with Israeli Couscous (I love Israeli couscous!)
Lentil Burgers

I'm hoping the kids will eat them. I know the kids at least will try them. I'll share recipes for what works for us and let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment