Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Rice Lentil Spinach Pilaf

Yummy dinner at our house tonight with reasonable success on the kid front! And yes, it involves VEGETABLES! Even better, it's a Weight Watcher recipe which means it's good for me too. Of course, the chocolate cookie dough ice cream I ate later probably negates this, but food is a battlefield for me (no, love is not a battlefield in my world). Anyway, on to the recipe so you can try this out at your table.

Ingredients
1 tsp olive oil
2 medium shallots, minced
3/4 c. uncooked basmati rice, brown (I have no idea if what I used was basmati)
2 1/4 c. vegetable broth, low-sodium variety (not sure about the sodium content in bouillon, but I suspect it isn't all that low)
1/2 c. dry lentils, picked over, rinsed and drained
10 oz. spinach, frozen chopped variety, thawed and squeezed dry (I used 16 oz.)
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/4 tsp. table salt (I use kosher and guesstimated)
1/4 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground (I probably used more)
1/4 c. pine nuts (you probably could substitute other nuts but chopped?)

Instructions
Heat oil in a large non-stick saucepan, then add shallots. Saute until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the rice and saute, until the rice is lightly browned, about 3 minutes.

Add the broth and lentils; bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Stir in the spinach, cranberries, salt and pepper. Simmer, covered until rice is tender, 10-15 minutes. Fluff the mixture with a fork and stir in the nuts.

Makes four 1-cup servings. Aaron enjoyed his with feta cheese (yum!).

No comments:

Post a Comment