Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

On a Happier Note...


Dinner debacle aside, at least I came home from vacation to pick these beautiful tomatoes and reasonably decent cucumbers. The enormous one is the same variety as all the others (Jet Star, according to Aaron who has a better memory for these details). I feel very blessed to have such a great harvest of tomatoes. I've even grown to enjoy eating them! For anyone who knows me, this is a big deal. I used to eat tomatoes only in a processed form - pasta/pizza sauce, ketchup, salsa, cooked into various dishes like enchiladas. Then my dear husband introduced me to what I call Israeli salad - diced tomatoes, cukes, red onion in a "dressing" (read: marinade) of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. A few years after that, I politely tried our cousin's caprese salad and was shocked to find I wasn't repulsed by the red fruit. I still don't eat them on sandwiches, but I'm finding that I enjoy them diced in salads without dressing and that some small varieties make for acceptable (if not loved) snacks. I find it interesting that my tastes continue to change as an adult, and that food availability seems to be a factor in those changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment