Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cheese-Stuffed Meatballs with Spaghetti

Another yummy recipe to share with you all! I decided that it was time for me to learn how to make meatballs. I don't know how I've reached the age of almost-35 and not made meatballs, but it is true that I have not made my own meatballs (as far as I can remember). I gained a great appreciation for those who do this on a regular basis or for restaurants who do this rather than purchasing premade meatballs. These meatballs were worth the effort, but I doubt I can find time each week for them. I bet I could make the meatballs in advance of need/want and freeze them though.

Cheese-Stuffed Meatballs w/Whole Wheat Spaghetti
From Weight Watchers - 10 PointsPlus per serving
Serves 4

Ingredients:
8 oz. ground turkey
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
1/4 c. breadcrumbs
1/4 chopped fresh parsley
1/4 fat-free milk
1 large egg white
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch cayenne
1 1oz. piece part-skim mozzarella, cut into 16 cubes (think string cheese)
2 c. fat-free marinara sauce
1/2 c. water
8 oz. whole-wheat spaghetti (or other pasta)

Instructions:
Mix turkey, 1/4 cup parm, bread crumbs, parsley, milk, egg white, garlic and cayenne in large bowl. Shape turkey mixture around cheese cubes to form 16 meatballs.

Bring sauce and water to simmer in large skillet. Add meatballs; cover and simmer, stirring gently a few times, until cooked through. About 10 mins

Meanwhile cook pasta.

Divide pasta among 4 plates; top evenly with meatballs and sauce. sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup parm cheese.

Notes/Changes:
Making meatballs is a messy, slimy endeavor. Be prepared to wash hands frequently during the process.

Changes I made: I used panko for breadcrumbs, 1% milk, and a generic EggBeaters product for the egg (1/4 c. = 1 egg). I had pre-minced garlic, and I skipped the cayenne for the kids. Aaron made a marinara sauce which included some spinach (maybe 10-16oz.?) I think the cookbook recipe actually calls for escarole to be tossed with the pasta for the last minute of cook time, but we put our greens in the sauce instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment