Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

What about the rest of those CSA veggies?


I realize I didn't answer about the rest of the CSA veggies in my last post.  So here are some ideas I have for the rest of the veggies.


Cucumbers make a great side for my kids, and my husband makes a wonderful cucumber and tomato salad.  I don't like uncooked tomatoes EXCEPT in this salad.  He dices cucumbers, tomatoes, and a red onion.  Sometimes he adds a bit of a bell pepper.  Then he adds olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, pepper and sometimes salt.  I call it Israeli salad, but I don't know whether it has an official name.  Anyway, cukes and tomatoes are pretty easy to get through in our house.

Green peppers are great for salads or in enchiladas.  I may make enchiladas this week to get through some of the eggplant.  I might also think about trying my hand at some kind of eggplant parmesan.  Maybe I could use panko for it!  Panko is Japanese breadcrumbs, and I love them because they seem crunchier to me.

Onions are a staple in our house.  We use them in everything from eggs to enchiladas.

I suspect we have more than 3 ears of corn right now since I don't remember eating much corn last week.  We have a few whole chickens and chicken parts (legs and thighs, I think) from Chestnut Farms in our freezer as well as the "All Natural" chicken from Trader Joe's I like to use for chicken fingers and such.  The corn goes so well with chicken, so I see that in our future.

We still have kale from last week in addition to the dinosaur kale we picked up this week.  Given the success of tonight's dinner, I foresee making a larger batch of the curried chickpeas and kale - maybe enough to freeze.

I'll keep you posted on how things go with the vegetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment